Common Questions about the D&D Insider Character Builder
Where can I find the D&D Character Builder?
You can launch it from the D&D Insider Tools page. You must have an active D&D Insider subscription and be connected to the internet to use the builder.
Can I export my character file to share with others?
I am not a subscriber. Can I still get the D&D Character Builder?
The application is available only to D&D Insider subscribers.
I am not a subscriber, but would like to use the Character Builder. How do I subscribe?
You can find instructions on how to purchase a monthly, quarterly, or annual subscription to D&D Insider by following this link.
What system(s) does the Character Builder run on?
Character Builder Requirements:
- Operating System: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2
- CPU: Intel® Pentium® III 450MHz or faster processor (or equivalent)
- RAM: 256MB minimum
- Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, Mozilla Firefox 3.x, Apple Safari 3, Apple Safari 4, Google Chrome 3, Google Chrome 4, Google Chrome 5
- Mac OS
- Operating System: Apple Mac OS X 10.4.8 or above
- CPU: Intel Core™ Duo 1.83GHz or faster processor
- RAM: 256MB minimum
- Browsers: Apple Safari 4, Apple Safari 5, Mozilla Firefox 3.x
- Not supported:
- Win 98, Win NT/Server 2000, Linux, or DOS
What is Silverlight? Do I have to have it to have it to use the Character Builder?
Silverlight is the web platform from Microsoft on which the D&D Character Builder is built. Your computer must be running this platform for you to use the Character Builder. It’s free to download, and works with all the operating systems and browsers listed above. If you do not have Silverlight, the Character Builder will prompt you to download it when you first log in. You can also go directly to Microsoft’s Silverlight website, and download it from there.
Can I use the D&D Character Builder offline?
No. This version of the D&D Character Builder requires an active connection to the internet.
If I end my subscription, what happens to the characters I’ve created or imported to the Character Builder?
Characters you’ve created on the current version or imported from the older version of the Character Builder will remain in our database for twelve months after the subscription expires. If you renew your subscription within that twelve month period, you will be able to access your characters again.